Sunday 11 January 2015

Day Eleven

One of the great things about the Glebe are the small business that continue to exist along Bank Street.  There are a number of bigger names that have moved in over the years - and that's great - nothing wrong with big names - but there is a soft spot in my heart for the smaller ones that provide unique products and services.

One of the long standing ones has been Brittons.  A purveyor of magazines, newspapers, books and, of late, a variety of unique products.  When I was thinking about this project, I had planned on asking to take a portrait of the proprietor.



Today I got the news that it has abruptly closed. ( http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/iconic-glebe-newsstand-closes-doors-suddenly )

It makes me sad, but I wanted to write this, not to express sorrow, but to express thanks for the many years of pleasure the shop brought to so many Glebe residents.  As I walked up the street to see for myself that the store was closed, I saw several other people doing the same thing.  There were notes on the door explaining the situation and directing customers elsewhere for newspapers.  On one, there were penned notes of thanks and well wishes or the future.

You will be missed!






No comments:

Post a Comment